giovedì 20 novembre 2008

Conditionals and other Hypotheticals

.
(A) Find an example for each type from the sentences below.
1. If I went out tonight , I would see John but I’m going to stay in. (2nd)
2. If I had gone out last night, I would have seen John. (3rd)
3. If I go out, I see John, he’s always in the pub. (0)
4. If I go out tonight, I will see John, he said he was going into the West End. (1st)
5. If I couldn’t speak English well, I wouldn’t have gone on the Erasmus programme. (Mixed 2/3)
6. If we had listened to the instructions properly, we would know what to do. (Mixed 3/2)

(B) Other modals apart from will and would can also be used. Now add the sentences below to the groups above.
1. If you hadn’t reminded me, I might have forgotten his birthday. (3rd)
2. If I had the money, I could lend it to you. (2nd)
3. If you get sick, you should see a doctor. (0)
4. If you make an appointment, you can see the doctor tomorrow. (1st)


Choosing the Best Conditional:
The conditional you use not only depends on the situation and time but also how you see it. For example 3 different people might use 0, 1st or 2nd conditionals to describe the same event depending on views and beliefs from their own experience.

Look at the 3 sentences below. How is each situation different? (n.b. they are all present situations)

(a)If the train is late, what do you do?
(b)If the train is late, what will you do?
(c)If the train was late, what would you do?

Which speaker:
Lives in Germany where the trains are never late? (c)
Lives in Italy where the trains are sometimes late? (b)
Lives in England where the trains are always late? (a)
.

Nessun commento: